Links to National Organisations
Here are some links to a wide range of national organisations. This is provided as an information source only. Dementia web cannot be responsible for the contents of any external websites.
- Guideposts Trust provide direct services in the community for people with or recovering from mental health issues, for people with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, for people with a learning disability and for children with special needs.
- Age UK is the new force combining Help the Aged and Age Concern. Age UK has a vision of a world in which older people flourish. It aims to improve later life for everyone through its information and advice, campaigns, products, training and research. Online forum
- Alzheimer's Scotland provides a support service to people living in Scotland. 24 hour freephone helpline number 0808808 3000
- The Alzheimer's Research Trust is at the forefront of research into Alzheimer's and other dementias. You can contact the trust for information about dementia, research or to make a donation.
- The Alzheimer's Society has information on a wide range of dementia related topics. Includes a dementia forum.
- The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulatory body of health and care in England. It can provide independent reports and quality ratings on all care homes in your area.
- Carers UK has information on a wide range of dementia related topics. Includes a dementia forum.
- Dementia UK The charity has four core areas: Admiral Nurses provide practical and emotional support to family carers of people with dementia. A telephone helpline. Dementia UK training. Uniting carers. Contact 020 7874 7200
- The Department of Health for information for carers, including funding, grants, a carers' forum and support services. Includes a dementia forum.
- The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists provide contacts for local registered practitioners. Telephone number 0207 2348620
- First Stop offers an advice service for older people for housing, care, finance and your rights. Advice line 0800 3777070
- Help The Aged has information about all aspects of being older - research into ageing, providing care for the elderly, financial help for carers Includes a forum.
- The National Health Service website has a wide range of information about dementia including symptoms and early signs and the process of getting a diagnosis.
- RNIB Royal National Institute of Blind PeopleInformation and support to anyone with concerns about their sight and eye health. Helpline number 0303 123 9999. E-mail email@example.com
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists produce a range of fact sheets about dementia, memory and depression.
- The Residents and Relatives' Association exists for older people needing or living in residential care homes and their families. Can offer a listening ear, information and advice on a wide range of issues relating to residential care.
- SPECAL (Specialised Early Care for Alzheimer's) is a charitable organisation with an innovative approach to the lifelong well-being of people with dementia.
- The Stroke Association provides support for people concerned about the effects of having a stroke.